Blood is Life.
- Blood donation is a safe and confidential process.
- The whole process takes approximately 30 minutes, this includes registration, health checks and the actual donation.
- It is a requirement to have a meal and drink plenty of water or fluids at least 3 hours before you attend the session.
- You will be requested to fill out a brief questionnaire.
- You will have a brief session with the blood donor nurse to take your vitals.
- The phlebotomy staff will usher you to the donation couch where you will donate blood. This should take between 5 and 15 minutes.
After donation you will be required to take a short rest of 5 minutes after which a light refreshment will be served.
This will be done by a donor clerk. A questionnaire will be given requiring the donors bio data, medical and social history.
- The minimum weight requirement for a blood donor is 50 kgs.
Blood Pressure and Haemoglobin (Hb) Check.
The blood donor nurse will check;
- Your blood pressure.
- If your Hb is adequate; An appropriate Hb for a donor has to be more than 12.5 grams per deciliter.
Individuals not meeting the minimum donation requirements are either permanently or temporarily deferred.
- You will be ushered to your donation couch.
- All the equipment used is sterile.
- One pint of blood or 450 mls is collected.
- After donation you are advised to rest for at least 5 minutes to allow your blood flow to stabilize.
- Refreshments will be served to replace fluids and give an energy boost.
The whole donation process is treated with maximum confidentiality.Hits: 716